Some of the progress on the charities website I wrote earlier about:
Wrote web scraper to gather charities content
Since we don’t want to start the platform with no content on it, I wrote a web scraper in python that goes over publicly available information on charities. On our site we will make it very clear what content is coming from other websites and a link to them will provided right next to it.
** Some of them you can see in the screenshot below.**
** * Used Bootstrap to create front-end. Most of it is ready.
Creating front-end that looks decent has been much easier than I thought. Also the icons of <a href="http://fontawesome.io/" target="_blank">font-awesome</a> and bootstrap are awesome and also very easy to use.
** Starting with only allowing users to create accounts via Twitter has a couple of advantages; It’s quick to build, robust and makes it a little bit easier to spot spammers.**
** * **Wrote texts
** That was a bit more work than I expected. There is still some work in that area.**
What home will look like
** The static front-end of most pages is there, like the write review and edit account. But as the prototype is improving we’ll probably see more pages and states we need to build. * **Get search working
** In the beginning search will be very simple, and probably will only find charity pages. * Figure out a good name
As a working title we have “Charities we trust”, but I think that will cause problems. If someone visits the site and enters on a specific charity page, this person might think we endorse the charity since we say ‘we trust’ them.
** There is a whole lot of texts, code and other work that needs to be one..**
Here’s visualization on the work what has been done so far.
Made with gource.
Soon I’ll hope to be able to share a link to an early prototype 🙂