After more than a year a new Idea Growr app update is ready!
New code & new database
As described here, I decided to fully rewrite the code of the app.
The main reasons for the new database being:
While my main focus was on the database and code, I wanted to at least give the users one new feature. You can now star an idea and it will be easier to find it in the list of ideas.
Different use of colours
Three reasons I changed the way colours are used:
The main difference is that now orange is the accent color used to highlight important elements in the layout. Overall I believe I didn’t move away too far from the feeling the app used to have. So I hope users will find the update a refreshment and not too drastic.
Moving towards a Material Design I made some changes to the layout. The most changes can be found in the idea overview, shown at the top.
Also the all ideas layout has changed a bit. The sorting icons (last created, last edited, alphabet) are now more easy on the eye.
I’m aware that these icons don’t quite speak for themselves. But they are for ‘power users’ that will find out by themselves (I hope).
In the future, I want to add more ways to sort like based on number of notes, starred, what question sets are used. I’ll probably make us of a drop down then and get rid of these icons.
Copy & translations
Not much changed, but I now made sure that all languages are fully translated. And by translated I mean Google Translation translated. I also cleaned up the strings.xml files that hold all the texts. This should make it much easier to maintain the texts in the future.
If you see text that is wrongly translated, let me know and I can improve the translation with the following update.
Staged roll out
I’m pushing out the update today with a staged roll out. Only 5% of users will be able to do the update. This way I can see if I missed any bugs.