The major update to Idea Growr as described in the last post has not yet materialized. There are a couple of short term and some long term reasons.
Short term barriers
- The cloud platform we used gave up (!) and advised us to stop using their platform.
- The French developer’s new day job leaves him with less time to help out.
- I moved to a new house.
- Last but not least; I’ve become a father.
- Since I have a day job, my time is limited.
- I don’t have the development skills to take the app to the next level.
- I don’t have the time to teach myself those skills.
- It’s not a commercial project (in the short run), so I can’t offer money as a tool for commitment.
Making plans that fit reality
Let’s evaluate my efforts so far in improving Idea Growr beyond what I can develop myself:
- Collaborate with Applits last year. Their time was limited, and resulted in no progress to the code of IG.
- Collaborate with a Dutch developer (not mentioned on this blog), who’s more known with iOS. In the end his time was also too limited.
- Collaborate with French developer, whose time is limited.
What I have:
- An app that is installed on 11.339 devices, that is used by 200 people every day.
- Lots of feedback on how the app could be improved.
- Concrete short term goals.
- A long term vision.
- A business model that’s scalable and testable.
The underlying problem is a lack of commitment of a partner and my software skills not being of the level to implement the most requested feature; online sync.
This brings me to my new short term goals:
- Learn more Android, by setting up a new pet project where I can again freely experiment.
- Find someone who fits this profile:
- Lives nearby to me: Netherlands, Utrecht / Amsterdam area.
- Decent Android skills.
- Supports the goals of Idea Growr.
- Has an average of 8 hours a week available to work on the app.
- Nice guy or girl to work with.
Update September 7, 2014: I have someone who might be able to help with the back-end side of things who fits the profile. A good Dutch Android developer is still very much welcome to join the team :).